We are software people at heart, and we combine our passion for problem solving with project management and technical knowledge to quickly create solutions for our clients. We only work with the Microsoft technology stack, and we value depth over breadth when it comes to technical expertise.
Metric-X has developed custom software applications for large and small companies. We specialize in developing software using the Microsoft tools and standards. Below are examples of the custom software applications we have developed:
- A claim processing system for a manufacturer that was running a special rebates program (ASP.NET, C#, SQL Server)
- A logistics planning application for allocating finished goods from multiple factors to sales orders (ASP.NET, C#, SQL Server)
- Rearchitecting a website developed in ASP to the .NET 3.5 Framework using C# and ASP.NET
- Custom code for SharePoint 2010 in order to enable SharePoint to perform the Move and Send functions on multiple documents at a time (C#)
- The XLhub software that enables Microsoft Excel to create a two-way connection between a SQL Server database (C#, Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO), SQL Server)
Software Development Method
We produce results by utilizing repeatable processes on our projects. The main phases for our software development projects are shown below:
- Plan Phase: In this phase we establish the project charter and project scope. Define project success in terms of the client’s business objectives. Create the project plan and conduct a risk assessment. Recommend technology alternatives (there may be a better way than .NET). Create a high level cost estimate for building the system. Ensure our clients consider the plan feasible and all parties understand their roles.
- Visualize: Define the requirements. We utilize visualization tools (e.g. www.axure.com), build proof of concepts (POC) and apply flexible facilitation techniques to enable our clients to express the system functionality requirements. Our visualization method sets us apart from other companies. We can iteratively refine the visual prototype until the customer is clear that the requirements have been achieved.
- Design & Build: Design the software as well as the technical environment. Build the solution incrementally so that design issues or missed requirements can be uncovered early.
- Customer Acceptance Test: Provide the system to the customer to ensure that it functions as required, that the performance is acceptable, and that security requirements are implemented. Obtain acceptance from the customer to deploy the system.
- Deploy: Move the system to the production environment. Train the customer’s personnel on how to use and maintain the system. Monitor the system operations.
The reason our process works is because of the Visualize phase. Using a wireframe tool such as Axure, we are able to create a “close-to-final” representation of the software without writing a single line of code. It is much easier to make changes to the wireframe than it is to the code. Our customers are free to change their mind until the visual prototype represents their vision.
We focus on software development on the Microsoft .NET Framework. Shown below are the various tools used on our software development projects.